Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Beowulf- Prologue to Chapter X

Beowulf always seemed to me to be this insane story about this insane warrior who does insane things.  Yet the entire prologue and first eight chapters of this epic poem are without violence.  They all tell the story of the years prior to Beowulf and a little back ground about the origins of his quest.  Finally, in chapters Nine and Ten, there's an account of Beowulf killing a bunch of things that are described as sea-fishes (I think they could be sharks, but I don't know.)  It was apparently a competition between Beowulf and another person to see how many sea-fish someone could kill, and Beowulf killed nine, thus winning the competition and proving his loyalty to the King of the Danes.

But my question was about that competition.  I couldn't tell if Beowulf was recounting a tale, or the narrator was telling us of something Beowulf was doing.

CA out.

No comments:

Post a Comment